Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Church in Thyatira (An overly tolerant Church)

As part of our homework this week we are looking at the seven churches John wrote to in Revelation 2-3. Today we are on the fourth, Church in Thyatira. Please read and study the scripture below. My comments and notes are in Blue. They have been adapted from my Study Bible (NLT, 2nd Edition) and Commentary (Matthew Henry).

Revelation 2:18-29
To the Church in Thyatira (An overly tolerant Church, confronts Christians who mix Christianity with pagan practices and a worldly lifestyle)
18 “To the angel of the church in Thyatira (an outpost cirt known for trade guilds Acts 16:4) write:
These are the words of the Son of God, whose eyes are like blazing fire (indicate penetrating perception) and whose feet are like burnished bronze (indicating Christ's stability). 19 I know your deeds, your love and faith, your service and perseverance, and that you are now doing more than you did at first. (Christ emphasizing knowing and seeing ALL things as he praises this church)
20 Nevertheless, I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel (who led Isreal into pagan idolaty and immorality 1Kings 16:31-33, 21:5-26), who calls herself a prophet. (This is a problem Christ has with this church) By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols. 21 I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling. 22 So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways. 23 I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds. (His judgement comes in three stages 1- Jezebal on bed of suffering 2- her followers will greatly suffer 3-her children will die. This judgement echoes the plagues on Egypt that ended with deaths of Egypt's firstborn sons EXO 12:29-30. This should remind us that GOD sees thoughts and intentions and in responses gives whatever punishment/sentence people deserve. JER 17:10, Acts 1:24, Heb 4:12-13, Mat 16:27)
24 Now I say to the rest of you in Thyatira, to you who do not hold to her teaching and have not learned Satan’s so-called deep secrets, ‘I will not impose any other burden on you, 25 except to hold on to what you have until I come.’
26 To the one who is victorious and does my will to the end, I will give authority over the nations— 27 that one ‘will rule them with an iron scepter and will dash them to pieces like pottery’[b]—just as I have received authority from my Father. 28 I will also give that one the morning star. (Christ promises that those who are obedient will share authority with him (WOW), as symbolized by the iron scepter that will dash the opposition like clay pots. PS 2:8-9. The morning start signifies the coming of a new day and refers to the promise of resurrection at Christ's return (REV 22:16, 2Pet 1:19)29 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

Question to ponder -
Are you convicted by the thought of an "Overly Tolerant Church"?

No comments:

Post a Comment