Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Church in Laodicea (A lukewarm and uncommitted church)

To the Church in Laodicea (A lukewarm and uncommitted church, Town was very self sufficient and they were proud of their accomplishments. They had inconsistent lives that stood for nothing but themselves.)
14 “To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:
These are the words of the Amen (promise of truth, an oath ISA 65:16), the faithful and true witness (this description of Christ declares that he knew them as they really were, they were not measuring uo to God's expectations), the ruler (the begininng or the source) of God’s creation. 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. (The church;s indecisive nature was revolting to him.) 17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. (Jesus is speaking about their miserable and poor spiritual condition) 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold (They needed to acquire the treasures of heaven so they would have spiritual riches through faith in Christ) refined in the fire (spiritual wealth can withstand a fire), so you can become rich; and white (spiritual purity) clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.
19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. (Christ will correct and discipline those whom he loves PRO 3:11-12, HEB 12:5-6. Rather than rejecting them His faithfulness extends even to the unfaithful 2TIM 2:13) 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. (A person must hear Jesus knocking and open the door to him, Simply opening the door can renew) If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. (A shared meal symbolies acceptance, deep friendship and a convenant relationship REV 19:9, GEN 18:1-5, 16-19, EXO 12:1-31, 18:12, MAT 26:26-30)
21 To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne ( the reward) , just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. (Christians do not become divine but they share in Christ's victorious reign REV 20:4-6, 22:5, COL 3:1-4, 2 TIM 2:12) 22 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”

You did it - you studied the seven churches letters in Rev 2-3. Great job - see you tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment