Friday, April 8, 2011

Proverbs 8 - Wisdom's Call

Hey Girls!

I hope that you had a wonderful day today! The weather has been amazing and we are loving being outdoors. I am getting nervous about the summer heat already though - 100 degree weather for months does not sound like fun right now.

Today we look at Proverbs 8 - Wisdom's Call.

Proverbs 8
Wisdom’s Call

1 Does not wisdom call out?
Does not understanding raise her voice?
2 At the highest point along the way,
where the paths meet, she takes her stand;
3 beside the gate leading into the city,
at the entrance, she cries aloud:
4 “To you, O people, I call out;
I raise my voice to all mankind.
5 You who are simple, gain prudence;
you who are foolish, set your hearts on it.[a]
6 Listen, for I have trustworthy things to say;
I open my lips to speak what is right.
7 My mouth speaks what is true,
for my lips detest wickedness.
8 All the words of my mouth are just;
none of them is crooked or perverse.
9 To the discerning all of them are right;
they are upright to those who have found knowledge.
10 Choose my instruction instead of silver,
knowledge rather than choice gold,
11 for wisdom is more precious than rubies,
and nothing you desire can compare with her.
12 “I, wisdom, dwell together with prudence;
I possess knowledge and discretion.
13 To fear the LORD is to hate evil;
I hate pride and arrogance,
evil behavior and perverse speech.
14 Counsel and sound judgment are mine;
I have insight, I have power.
15 By me kings reign
and rulers issue decrees that are just;
16 by me princes govern,
and nobles—all who rule on earth.[b]
17 I love those who love me,
and those who seek me find me.
18 With me are riches and honor,
enduring wealth and prosperity.
19 My fruit is better than fine gold;
what I yield surpasses choice silver.
20 I walk in the way of righteousness,
along the paths of justice,
21 bestowing a rich inheritance on those who love me
and making their treasuries full.

22 “The LORD brought me forth as the first of his works,[c][d]
before his deeds of old;
23 I was formed long ages ago,
at the very beginning, when the world came to be.
24 When there were no watery depths, I was given birth,
when there were no springs overflowing with water;
25 before the mountains were settled in place,
before the hills, I was given birth,
26 before he made the world or its fields
or any of the dust of the earth.
27 I was there when he set the heavens in place,
when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep,
28 when he established the clouds above
and fixed securely the fountains of the deep,
29 when he gave the sea its boundary
so the waters would not overstep his command,
and when he marked out the foundations of the earth.
30 Then I was constantly[e] at his side.
I was filled with delight day after day,
rejoicing always in his presence,
31 rejoicing in his whole world
and delighting in mankind.

32 “Now then, my children, listen to me;
blessed are those who keep my ways.
33 Listen to my instruction and be wise;
do not disregard it.
34 Blessed are those who listen to me,
watching daily at my doors,
waiting at my doorway.
35 For those who find me find life
and receive favor from the LORD.
36 But those who fail to find me harm themselves;
all who hate me love death.”


My thoughts and take-aways:
Wow - what a great scripture reading. It has so many important points for us to hear and read. We start by reading that wisdom calls out (v1-2) for all to hear and acknowledge. Wisdom is waiting and hoping we respond/answer. Wisdom is associated with truth, understanding, and knowledge which are right, wholesome, plain and clear. Wisdom detests deception and evil (v6-9). We are told to choose wisdom over money or things as it is more valuable (v10-11). Those who have wisdom also have good judgement, knowledge, and discernment. According to verse 13 those who have/seek wisdom they will not speak ill of others (gossip, bend the truth, or harm others with their words). The best rulers choose wisdom and rule with that principle in mind (v15-16). IN verse 22-25 we read that God's wisdom has always existed. Wisdom cannot exist outside of God and it is an expression of his character and nature. God uses wisdom to establish the created order, so wisdom can tell us how the world works and speaks of God's greatness (v27-29). God's wisdom guided the creation of the world becoming the ultimate architect (v30)! Those who listen to and follow wisdom will be rewarding according to God (v32-36). Life is the ultimate reward for the wise, while rejecting wisdom results in death, speaking to eternal life and death (v35-36).

I am sensing an important theme - God wants us to seek his wisdom. Wisdom is important to HIM and to those who seek his wisdom they will be greatly rewarded.... so are you seeking wisdom? Will you share how.....

Please leave a comment!


Enjoy the weekend!
Love to all!

M

3 comments:

  1. It seems so easy to listen to wisdom...but yet, it is so easy to do foolish things now and then. Honestly, I catch myself - and need to remind myself frequently - that I do not serve money, but I serve my God because it is so easy to get caught up in material things and you can clearly not serve both. So verse 10-11 is something I constantly remind myself! Hope everyone has a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seek wisdom through Scripture, books and advice from trusted sources. I personally don't have many trusted, Godly influences in my life but am hopeful that as I gain wisdom and discernment over the years that I will one day be that for others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley - I see wisdom written all over you and you are teaching your boys using wisdom. You are a true "Jesus Freak" (please take no offense, I think this is the highest compliment) and one of my closest friends. YOu are someone that I go to for Godly advice. Keep seeking HIM and your path will be straight! Love you girl!

    Melissa - We all catch ourselves, but thats the Holy Spirit alive in us. We know when we are doing something that doesn't please our Lord and we repent! Love you sister!

    ReplyDelete