Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Proverbs 20

Good Afternoon Girls!

Its almost Easter, one of my favorite times of the year. I love the little opportunities to share Jesus with everyone. This year we seem to be on Easter Egg Hunt overdrive. We have been to three and its only Wednesday, we have a few more to go before Easter even arrives. On the surface these "Egg Hunts" can be all about the egg and what's inside, candy - stickers - etc but what if for one minute we focus our attention on the reason for this holiday. What if we had a "Jesus Hunt" - what if we sought HIM out just as much as we sought out the bright colored plastic eggs we hid. What a difference that would make.... so I leave you with a quick opportunity to share Christ with others at Egg Hunts. Remember when you can plant a mustard seed for Christ someday it will bloom!

We use Resurrection Eggs here to teach the story of Easter and they are easy for little ones to understand. Here is a link to the story and how to make your own -
http://www.teachkidsthebible.com/biblelessons/resurrectioneggs.htm

Today we look at Proverbs 20 -
1 Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler;
whoever is led astray by them is not wise.

2 A king’s wrath strikes terror like the roar of a lion;
those who anger him forfeit their lives.

3 It is to one’s honor to avoid strife,
but every fool is quick to quarrel.

4 Sluggards do not plow in season;
so at harvest time they look but find nothing.

5 The purposes of a person’s heart are deep waters,
but one who has insight draws them out.

6 Many claim to have unfailing love,
but a faithful person who can find?

7 The righteous lead blameless lives;
blessed are their children after them.

8 When a king sits on his throne to judge,
he winnows out all evil with his eyes.

9 Who can say, “I have kept my heart pure;
I am clean and without sin”?

10 Differing weights and differing measures—
the LORD detests them both.

11 Even small children are known by their actions,
so is their conduct really pure and upright?

12 Ears that hear and eyes that see—
the LORD has made them both.

13 Do not love sleep or you will grow poor;
stay awake and you will have food to spare.

14 “It’s no good, it’s no good!” says the buyer—
then goes off and boasts about the purchase.

15 Gold there is, and rubies in abundance,
but lips that speak knowledge are a rare jewel.

16 Take the garment of one who puts up security for a stranger;
hold it in pledge if it is done for an outsider.

17 Food gained by fraud tastes sweet,
but one ends up with a mouth full of gravel.

18 Plans are established by seeking advice;
so if you wage war, obtain guidance.

19 A gossip betrays a confidence;
so avoid anyone who talks too much.

20 If someone curses their father or mother,
their lamp will be snuffed out in pitch darkness.

21 An inheritance claimed too soon
will not be blessed at the end.

22 Do not say, “I’ll pay you back for this wrong!”
Wait for the LORD, and he will avenge you.

23 The LORD detests differing weights,
and dishonest scales do not please him.

24 A person’s steps are directed by the LORD.
How then can anyone understand their own way?

25 It is a trap to dedicate something rashly
and only later to consider one’s vows.

26 A wise king winnows out the wicked;
he drives the threshing wheel over them.

27 The human spirit is[a] the lamp of the LORD
that sheds light on one’s inmost being.

28 Love and faithfulness keep a king safe;
through love his throne is made secure.

29 The glory of young men is their strength,
gray hair the splendor of the old.

30 Blows and wounds scrub away evil,
and beatings purge the inmost being.


My Thoughts and Take-Aways:
Proverbs is so great to read and there is so much good stuff! There were a few verses that jumped out to me and so I am going to just comment on those...

15 Gold there is, and rubies in abundance,
but lips that speak knowledge are a rare jewel.

I love this verse because its right in your face! Gold and rubies are so openly beautiful. Rarely do they look ugly or unpleasing to the eye. Your lips however have a choice - they can be chapped and cracked, thus spilling out ugly speech, gossip and negative thoughts. They can be moisturized with God's word and speak thoughtfully, intelligently and from the heart. You see its just like the main principal in business 101 (here is my Baylor Eduction hard at work) GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out. This is also Christianity 101 - GIGO: God In, God Out. Whatever you pour in, pours out of your lips and your heart.

17 Food gained by fraud tastes sweet,
but one ends up with a mouth full of gravel.


This is one that I can be really guilty of... Most of you know that I like to run. I usually run 6 miles and its usually after I put my kids to bed. I love this time, its my quiet time, my God time, my alone time - all very important to me. Around mile 4 I start to get hungry (I usually don't eat dinner before hand) and so I start planning my feast. By mile 6 I have such a large meal planned that I need to probably run another 6 miles to break even. On really hungry nights I will make up an excuse to go to the store and then somehow my car ends up at Orange Leaf (usually Friday night). Just imagine if I went through all of that and the yummy Fro Yo tasted like gravel.... Ummmm way not cool!

Lastly - verse 23
The LORD detests differing weights,
and dishonest scales do not please him.

I think next time I grace the office at Northeast OBGYN I will share this verse. You see they have two scales, one to the right when you taken back and one all the way down the hall to the left. I always get weighed on the one to the right - WHICH IS ALWAYS 5 LBS HEAVIER! How unfair! This is all in jest and I love my OB and all of her colleagues, the office is amazing and her staff is the best! I just wonder if I think of this in terms of my God Scale - does my commitment to him sometimes differ depending on which way I go, Right or Left? And to know he detests that makes me cringe.... You?

Leave a comment and we can chat!

Love to all!
M

2 comments:

  1. Vs 13 spoke to me immediately. I love sleep and I'm sitting here with Payten during her rest time while reading and was contemplating closing my eyes. Reading this and doing this weeks study, I know I need to pray God's energy for me and find a way to have fun and teach Payten something new. She's only none as long as God allows me and I need to take every opportunity to love in her and show her Christ, I can sleep later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely relate! I am not a morning person if my alarm (or my kids) are up before 7am. I know that I should do my quiet time in the morning but struggle with getting up and then being alert! There is time to sleep later but in all reality I sleep enough now. Love you!

    ReplyDelete