Thursday, April 7, 2011

Proverbs 7: Warning Against the Adulterous Woman

Hey Girls!

I hope that you are having a great day! We missed so many of y'all last night but we had a great time watching Left Behind. It was amazing watching the Scriptures come alive, we are thinking about watching the remaining two some time soon.

Today has been a challenge around here - for some reason we are all tired. I had lunch with a friend and it ended with sweet K spilling an entire cup of diet coke everywhere - to which I yelled at her.... in a restaurant... in public....without even thinking about it....she was devastated....I failed as a Mom to be sympathetic....instead I was mad that she wouldn't listen...but in reality it was an accident and I should have been paying attention. I find daily that things happen when I should have been paying attention. I read through Proverbs 7 and my first thought is - I will not let this be my daughter or my son.... but I must pay attention to lay the right foundation. I must pay attention to their needs and I must pay attention to their wants in life (no matter how big or small - they all matter).

So with that being said - let's read:

Proverbs 7
Warning Against the Adulterous Woman
1 My son, keep my words
and store up my commands within you.
2 Keep my commands and you will live;
guard my teachings as the apple of your eye.
3 Bind them on your fingers;
write them on the tablet of your heart.
4 Say to wisdom, “You are my sister,”
and to insight, “You are my relative.”
5 They will keep you from the adulterous woman,
from the wayward woman with her seductive words.
6 At the window of my house
I looked down through the lattice.
7 I saw among the simple,
I noticed among the young men,
a youth who had no sense.
8 He was going down the street near her corner,
walking along in the direction of her house
9 at twilight, as the day was fading,
as the dark of night set in.

10 Then out came a woman to meet him,
dressed like a prostitute and with crafty intent.
11 (She is unruly and defiant,
her feet never stay at home;
12 now in the street, now in the squares,
at every corner she lurks.)
13 She took hold of him and kissed him
and with a brazen face she said:

14 “Today I fulfilled my vows,
and I have food from my fellowship offering at home.
15 So I came out to meet you;
I looked for you and have found you!
16 I have covered my bed
with colored linens from Egypt.
17 I have perfumed my bed
with myrrh, aloes and cinnamon.
18 Come, let’s drink deeply of love till morning;
let’s enjoy ourselves with love!
19 My husband is not at home;
he has gone on a long journey.
20 He took his purse filled with money
and will not be home till full moon.”

21 With persuasive words she led him astray;
she seduced him with her smooth talk.
22 All at once he followed her
like an ox going to the slaughter,
like a deer[a] stepping into a noose[b]
23 till an arrow pierces his liver,
like a bird darting into a snare,
little knowing it will cost him his life.

24 Now then, my sons, listen to me;
pay attention to what I say.
25 Do not let your heart turn to her ways
or stray into her paths.
26 Many are the victims she has brought down;
her slain are a mighty throng.
27 Her house is a highway to the grave,
leading down to the chambers of death.


My Thoughts and Take-Aways:
I am getting the idea that God wants us to STAY AWAY from the immoral woman/man. He does not approve of affairs, adultery (in any form), or lusting after what is not yours. God says the man who is led by the prostitute is like an ox being led to slaughter or a deer heading for a noose... all resulting in death ultimately.

Verse 10 - states that the woman was dressed like a prostitute. So I ask the question - does the way I dress glorify God? Do I sometimes wear things that may provoke improper thoughts from others?

Verses 10-23 lay out she has planned to seduce this young man while her husband is away. She has changed the sheets, applied fragrance, laid out fine drinks and flirted with the young man to lure him into her bed. I wonder when reading this portion - did she ever out that much effort into loving her Heavenly Father, probably not is my guess. I am also guessing she was not walking in his ways. I also wonder if she ever put that much effort into her physical relationship with her husband. Did she ever care to spend that amount of time and thought honoring him?

I think we all know this is wrong but I can also guess that we all know someone who has been led down this destructive path. So what can we do as Christians in our active walk to prevent this evil temptation from effecting our spouses, children and loved ones?

Leave your comments here...

Love to all!
M

2 comments:

  1. I feel like this is so relevant to remind ourselves of - especially those that have children. If you look around (even at church sometimes) at how kids dress - it is unreal. It is challenging because that is what people are selling for young girls to wear. What's more - how do you as parents balance what your kid wants to wear so they will not be taunted vs. what you would prefer them to wear. It's tough! We definitely need to walk the walk, and not co-sign our friends/familys bad behavior!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank for the comment sister - love you!

    ReplyDelete